Going up along the Via Flaminia, barely passing Spoleto in the direction of Foligno, suddenly the landscape changes and all the green transforms into silvery colors: we are in the true heart of Umbria, the heart of Italy, that has always stayed faithful to its vocation of agriculture and excellence.
Gradually the territory, until a little while ago covered with forest, becomes an almost geometric succession of neat, almost groomed rows: this is the main entrance of the kingdom of His Majesty Olive Oil.
And, as befitting a king, we find a castle: the Castle belonging to Saint Heraclius, founded in the third century by the Trinci, the lords of Foligno, right along the old Via Flaminia, surrounded by the marvelous and green hills covered by centuries old olive groves extending from the Trevi to Foligno, as high as 600 meters, in the middle of the D.O.P. Umbria Assisi Hills – Spoleto region.
History reminds us that in 1830 Pope Pius VII issued a decree to reward the peasants who increased the olive plantations; this is the reason why 38,000 olive trees were planted in Umbria over the course of ten years.